• Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre
  • Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre
  • Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre
  • Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre
  • Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre
  • Mackenzie Wheeler Architects - Projects - Arts and Cultural - St Hildas East Community Centre

St Hilda's East Community Centre
Bethnal Green, London

Show info

Client
The Trustees

Location
Bethnal Green, London

Date Completed

Contract Period
1994, extended in 2005

Contract Sum
£2 million

Services Provided
Architecture and interior design

St.Hilda’s East was founded in 1890 on the Boundary Estate in Bethnal Green by the Cheltenham Ladies College “to advance education and relieve poverty” among the local inhabitants of this poor, racially mixed and deprived area.

 

The Centre provides a large multi-purpose hall, community café, club rooms, teaching and meeting rooms, a crèche, and 16 flats for local key workers. The architecture responds carefully to the distinctive Arts and Crafts style of the Boundary Estate to create a sequence of buildings that are attractive, very approachable and integrate well with the original Ragged School next door, retained as part of the Centre to provide office space for community projects.